We report on three patients with xeroderma pigmentosum group A (XPA) who showed laryngeal stridor in their 20s. The stridor appeared on feeding and emotional excitation, was exaggerated during respiratory infection and was life-threatening on some occasions. Adduction of the vocal cords during inspiration, observed by laryngoscopy, confirmed laryngeal dystonia in all cases. This type of focal dystonia may be characteristic in XPA and requires special attention during the management of these patients to avoid serious complications.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Xeroderma pigmentosum with neurological abnormalities. A clinical and neuropathological study.Acta Neurol Scand. 1986; 73: 191-199
- Treatment of adductor laryngeal breathing dystonia with botulinum toxin type A.Laryngoscope. 1994; 104: 30-32
- Involvement of upper-airway muscles in extrapyramidal disorders.N Engl J Med. 1984; 311: 438-442
- Pathogenesis of laryngeal narrowing in patients with multiple system atrophy.J Physiol. 2001; 536: 237-249
- Stridor and focal laryngeal dystonia.Lancet. 1992; 339: 457-458
- Laryngeal dystonia in a case of severe motor and intellectual disabilities due to Japanese encephalitis sequelae.Brain Dev. 2004; 26: 335-338
- Respiratory functions of the larynx.Physiol Rev. 1989; 69: 33-57
- Expiratory neural activities in gasping.J Appl Physiol. 1989; 66: 223-231
- Superior pharyngeal constrictor activation in obstructive sleep apnea.J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 156: 874-880
- Oxidative stress and disturbed glutamate transport in hereditary nucleotide repair disorders.J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2001; 60: 350-356
Accepted: March 8, 2005
Received in revised form: January 19, 2005
Received: November 26, 2004
© 2005 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.