Reverse Shapiro's syndrome was first described by Hirayama et al. in a girl with periodic hyperthermia associated with complete agenesis of the corpus callosum. Here we report another such case in a 9-month-old girl presenting with fever of unknown origin since the age of 7 months. On examination, she had mild hypotonia with delayed developmental milestones. No other neurological or physical abnormalities were noted. The cause of her prolonged fever of unknown origin was investigated and all results were negative. Her brain magnetic resonance images showed agenesis of the corpus callosum. On the basis of the previous literature, we suggest that the periodic hyperthermia of this girl was caused by dopaminergic denervation of the hypothalamic thermoregulatory center. Treatment with dopamine agonists (levodopa plus carbidopa) failed to control the hyperthermia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Spontaneous recurrent hypothermia accompanying agenesis of corpus callosum.Brain. 1969; 92: 423-436
- Reverse Shapiro's syndrome—a case of agenesis of corpus callosum associated with periodic hyperthermia.Arch Neurol. 1994; 51: 494-496
- Agenesis of corpus callosum associated with relapsing hypothermia: a clinical–pathological report.Brain. 1973; 96: 359-368
- Familial agenesis of the corpus callosum with hypothermia and apnea spells.Neuropaediatrics. 1984; 15: 63-67
- Dopamine effect on thermosensitive neurons in hypothalamic tissue slices.Brain Res. 1984; 306: 157-163
- Spontaneous periodic hypothermia.Neurology. 1984; 34: 79-82
- Episodic hyperhidrosis hypothermia and agenesis of corpus callosum.Neurology. 1983; 33: 1122-1129
- Agenesis of the corpus callosum associated with paroxysmal hypothermia: Shapiro's syndrome.Neth J Med. 1997; 50: 29-35
- Diencephalic epilepsy in a patient with agenesis of the corpus callosum confirmed by computerized axial tomography.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1977; 40: 808-814
- Agenesis of corpus callosum: a study of the frequency of associated malformations.Ann Neurol. 1979; 6: 349-354
- Spontaneous periodic hypothermia.Medicine (Baltimore). 1995; 74: 268-280
Accepted: November 18, 2004
Received in revised form: May 11, 2004
Received: June 3, 2003
© 2004 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.