To clarify long-term effects of intrathecal administration of interferon (IFN)-α in subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE), we followed up a patient with SSPE for 18 years, who had been treated successfully using intrathecal IFN-α with response-based dose adjustments. IFN-α therapy dramatically induced remission of disease and greatly improved quality of life for 7–8 years, but this was followed by severely deterioration with decorticate posturing and akinetic mutism. Thus, IFN-α-induced remission appears most likely to be temporary, even when an SSPE patient shows an excellent initial response. To improve long-term outcome for SSPE patients, more effective therapy is needed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Contribution of the interleukin 4 gene to susceptibility to subacute sclerosing panencephalitis.Arch Neurol. 2002; 59: 822-827
- The variable natural history of subacute sclerosing panencephalitis: a study of 118 cases from the Middle East.Arch Neurol. 1979; 36: 610-614
- Apparent response of subacute sclerosing panencephalitis to intrathecal interferon alpha.Ann Neurol. 1991; 29: 97-99
- The clinical spectrum and early diagnosis of Dawson's encephalitis; with preliminary notes on treatment.J Pediatr. 1969; 75: 590-603
- Intraventricular interferon and oral inosiplex in the treatment of subacute sclerosing panencephalitis.Neurology. 1992; 42: 488-491
- Long-term follow-up of patients with subacute sclerosing panencephalitis treated with intraventricular α -interferon.Neurology. 1997; 48: 526-528
- Interferon in acute and subacute encephalitis.Br Med J. 1988; 296: 9-11
- The interferon system in subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and its response to isoprinosine.Brain Dev. 1989; 11: 308-312
- Effect of interferon on Vero cells persistently infected with SSPE virus and lytically infected with measles virus.Arch Virol. 1986; 90: 87-96
- Pediatric Neuroimaging.3rd ed. Lippincott/ Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA/Baltimore, MD2000 (p. 749–750)
Accepted: July 21, 2004
Received in revised form: July 13, 2004
Received: May 12, 2004
© 2004 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.