This study was planned to evaluate cognitive functions, especially attention and immediate recall, in children with epilepsy by using P300 and neuropsychological tests, which included visual and auditory number assays.
Fifty five patients with partial seizures, 45 patients with generalized seizures and 20 patients with intractable seizures were enrolled in the study. Twenty five healty children were taken as the control group.
The results were as follows:
- 1.P300 latencies were significantly longer in the intractable and partial groups when compared with the control subjects.
- 2.The duration of epilepsy, seizure frequency, cerebral imaging pathologies were not significantly correlated with delayed P300 latencies.
- 3.The results of the visual and auditory number assays test showed significant abnormalities when each of the three groups were compared with the normal controls.
- 4.Though some subgroups of the neuropsychological tests were correlated with the P300 latencies, an overall significant correlation was not present between them.
So, we suggest that neuropsychological tests are more convenient for the assessment of cognitive functions in children with epilepsy than the P300 recordings.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Limbic P3 potentials, seizure localization and surgical pathology in temporal lobe epilepsy.Ann Neurol. 1989; 26: 377-385
- Event-related potential (P300) in epilepsy.Acta Neurol Scand. 1990; 82: 197-202
- Epileptic seizures and event-related potentials (P300) in childhood partial epilepsies.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1997; 28: 106-111
- Event-related potentials (P300) and EEG activity in childhood partial epilepsy.Brain Dev. 1997; 19: 117-121
- Long-latency auditory event related potentials in epilepsy.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1986; 17: 10-13
- Event-related potentials and cognitive functions in epileptic treated patients.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1990; 21: 67-73
- P300 brain activity in seizure patients preceding temporal lobectomy.Arch Neurol. 1991; 48: 141-147
- P300 event-related potentials in epileptic children.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1994; 25: 141-147
- Auditory event-related potentials (P300) in partial and generalized epileptic patients.Seizure. 1999; 8: 107-110
- Evoked-potential correlates of stimulus uncertainty.Science. 1965; 150: 1187-1188
- Latency of the P300 event-related potentials: normative aspects and within subject variability.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1984; 59: 420-424
- Long latency event-related components of auditory potential in dementia.Brain. 1978; 101: 635-648
- Identification of a negative bitemporal component (P300) of the event-related potentials demonstrated by noncephalic recording.Neurology. 1988; 38: 1803-1805
- P300 variations in Parkinsonian patients before and during dopaminergic monotherapy: a suggested dopamine in P300.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1991; 80: 446-453
- Event-related potential P3 change in mild Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 1996; 11: 32-42
- Event-related auditory evoked potentials and multiple sclerosis.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1993; 88: 182-187
- Electrophysiological index of cognitive function in epileptic patients.in: Porter R.J. Mattson R.H. Ward Jr., A.M. Dam M. Advances in epileptology: XV th Epilepsy ınternational Symposium. New York, Raven Press1984: 369-373
- The cognitive evoked potential in epilepsy patients.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1989; 20: 176-182
- Effects of high-dose antiepileptic drugs on event-related potentials in epileptic children.Epilepsy Res. 1996; 25: 59-64
- Single-trial analysis of P3 in patients with generalized epilepsy.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1997; 28: 218-224
- Pre-and postoperative auditory event-related potentials in temporal lobe epilepsy.Epilepsia. 1992; 33: 1029-1035
- Auditory event related potentials in patients with epilepsy on sodium valproate monotherapy.Acta Neurol Scand. 1997; 96: 62-64
- Endogenous potentials generated in the human hippocampal formation and amygdala by infrequent events.Science. 1980; 210: 803-805
- A subcortical correlate of P300 in man.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1984; 59: 72-76
- Wave form and neural mechanism of the decision P350 elicited without pre-stimulus CNV of readiness potential in random sequences of near-threshold auditory clicks and finger stimuli.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1979; 47: 648-670
- On the neural origin of P300 in man.Prog Brain Res. 1980; 54: 54-56
- The intracranial topography of the P3 event-related potential elicited during auditory oddball.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1990; 76: 235-248
- The visual aural digit span test.Grune and Straton, New York1977
- Epileptik çocuklarda görsel işitsel sayı dizisi (GİSD-A) uygulaması.Psikiyatri bülteni. 1996; 4: 128-130
- Proposal for revised classification of epilepsies and epileptic syndromes.Epilepsia. 1989; 30: 389-399
- Cognition in epilepsy: a multichannel event related potential (P300) study.Acta Neurol Scand. 1992; 86: 462-465
- Event-related potential and intelligence test performance of 50 patients with epilepsy.Clin Electroencephalogr. 1997; 28: 32-35
Accepted: July 9, 2004
Received in revised form: July 9, 2004
Received: January 28, 2004
© 2004 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.