A 9-month-old girl developed subacute limited adduction of the left eye, presenting with blepharoptosis. An orbital magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) 2 months after the onset revealed swelling of the left lateral rectus muscle, with increased intensity on T2-weighted images with fat saturation, which was enhanced with gadolinium. She was diagnosed with idiopathic orbital myositis based on history, physical examination, and MRI findings. Swelling of the left lateral rectus muscle was partially reduced by pulse steroid therapy. This is the first reported case of an infant orbital pseudotumor with clinical and MRI findings consistent with subacute orbital myositis. We propose that a fibrotic change of the orbital muscle may occur during a subacute course and would be incompletely responsive to steroid therapy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis.Am J Ophthalmol. 1994; 118: 343-350
- Idiopathic orbital myositis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 1997; 9: 504-512
- Idiopathic orbital inflammatory disease.Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 1996; 74: 191-193
- Orbital myositis due to Kawasaki's disease.Pediatr Radiol. 1999; 29: 634-636
- Acute rectus muscle palsy in children as a result of orbital myositis.J Pediatr. 1996; 128: 230-233
- Outcome of orbital myositis. Clinical features associated with recurrence.Ophthalmology. 1997; 104: 409-413
- Acute and subacute orbital myositis.Am J Ophthalmol. 1983; 96: 209-217
- Pediatric orbital pseudotumor: case report and review of the literature.Int Ophthalmol Clin. 1996; 36: 161-177
- Extraocular muscle enlargement: a CT review.Radiology. 1984; 151: 677-681
- Computed tomography of orbital myositis.Am J Roentgenol. 1984; 143: 671-674
- Idiopathic inflammatory orbital pseudotumor in childhood. I. Clinical characteristics.Arch Ophthalmol. 1978; 96: 1410-1417
- The nonspecific orbital inflammatory syndromes.Surv Ophthalmol. 1984; 29: 93-103
- Orbital myositis associated with herpes zoster.Arch Ophthalmol. 1991; 109: 471-472
- Orbital pseudotumors: Value of short inversion time inversion-recovery MR imaging.Radiology. 1997; 202: 55-59
- Childhood orbital pseudotumor.Ann Ophthalmol. 1985; 17: 372-377
Accepted: May 6, 2004
Received in revised form: May 6, 2004
Received: July 11, 2002
© 2004 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.