We report a 16-month-old boy with human herpes virus-6 (HHV-6) encephalopathy showing transient abnormalities of the cerebral white matter on magnetic resonance imaging. Diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) demonstrated diffuse high signal intensity in the bilateral cerebral white matter areas. The signal changes on DWI subsequently resolved, and cerebral atrophy resulted. The transient decrease in the cerebral white matter diffusivity seen in the present case may reflect axonal involvement secondary to the glial or neuronal damage in HHV-6 encephalopathy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of the brain.Radiology. 2000; 217: 331-345
- MR diffusion imaging in stroke: review and controversies.Radiographics. 1998; 18: 1283-1285
- MRI of influenza encephalopathy in children: value of diffusion-weighted imaging.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2000; 24: 303-307
- Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of encephalitis.Am J Roentgenol. 1999; 173: 1097-1099
- Diagnostic usefulness of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in influenza-associated acute encephalopathy or encephalitis.Brain Dev. 2000; 22: 451-453
- Acute disseminated demyelination due to primary human herpes virus-6 infection.Eur J Pediatr. 1997; 156: 709-712
- Fulminant course in a case of diffuse myelinoclastic encephalitis.Neuropediatrics. 2001; 32: 41-44
- Perfusion and diffusion imaging: a potential tool for improved diagnosis of CNS vasculitis.Am J Neuroradiol. 1999; 20: 87-89
- Reversible changes in echo planar perfusion- and diffusion-weighted MRI in status epilepticus.Neuroradiology. 2000; 42: 92-95
- Clinical spectrum of reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome.Pediatr Neurol. 2001; 24: 361-364
Accepted: March 19, 2004
Received in revised form: March 19, 2004
Received: June 3, 2003
© 2004 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.