Gradenigo syndrome in children during otitis media is a very rare complication since the use of antibiotics: nevertheless, it must be taken into account in case of otitis media, abducens nerve paralysis and facial pain in regions innervated by the first and second division of trigeminal nerve. We report the case of a 4-year-old boy whose neurological signs and clinical history prompted us to entertain a diagnosis of Gradenigo syndrome, which was not confirmed by CT and MRI findings, revealing otomastoiditis and sinus thrombosis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Uber die paralyse des n. abduzens bei otitis.Arch. F. Ohrenheilk. 1907; 74: 149-158
- Gradenigo's syndrome: a rare complication of otitis media.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 1988; 90: 237-239
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.Postgrad Med J. 2000; 76: 12-15
- Trasverse sinus thrombosis: an unusual cause of headache.Headache. 1997; 37: 457-459
- Cranial nerve syndrome in thrombosis of trasverse/sigmoid sinuses.Brain. 1998; 121: 381-388
- Features of dural sinus thrombosis simulating pseudotumor cerebri.Eur J Neurol. 1999; 6: 601-604
- Case-control study of risk of cerebral sinus thrombosis in oral contraceptive users (and in correction of who are) carriers of hereditary prothrombotic conditions.Br Med J. 1998; 316: 589-592
- Cerebral venous thrombosis and procoagulant factors: a case study.Angiology. 1998; 49: 563-571
- Petrous apicitis Clinical considerations.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1983; 92: 544-551
- Recurrent, isolated, post-febrile abducens nerve palsy.J Pediatr Ophtalmol Strabismus. 1980; 17: 323-324
- The empty delta sign.Radiology. 2002; 224: 788-789
- MRA of venous sinus thrombosis.Clin Neurosci. 1997; 4: 158-164
Stam J, de Bruijn SFTM, DeVeber G., Anticoagulation for cerebral sinus thrombosis (Cochrane review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 4, 2002, Oxford: Update Software.
- Extensive experience with dural sinus thrombosis.Neurosurgery. 2003; 52: 534-544
- Anticoagulation therapy in pediatric patients with sinovenous thrombosis.Arch Neurol. 1998; 55: 1533-1537
- Low molecular weight heparin in pediatric patients with thrombotic disease: a dose finding study.J Pediatr. 1996; 128: 313-318
- A standard heparin nomogram for the management of heparin therapy.Arch Intern Med. 1991; 151: 333-337
- N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 1565-1574
Accepted: February 16, 2004
Received in revised form: February 2, 2004
Received: July 14, 2003
© 2004 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.