The sleep patterns of a cohort of 83 Rett syndrome females were characterized using a sleep diary for 7 consecutive days and nights and compared with normative sleep data. The mean total sleep time of the cohort was 10.75 h, daytime sleep 0.77 h, sleep efficiency 89.7%, and sleep latency 0.52 h. When subjects were categorized according to age and Rett syndrome classification, there was no significant difference in their sleep characteristics. There was a significant difference in the percentage predicted total sleep time (P<0.001) and Z scores for total sleep time (P<0.001), when subjects were categorized according to age and compared with normal children. The Rett syndrome subjects in this study did not show the age related decrease in total and daytime sleep time seen in normal children. The immature sleep pattern demonstrated in this cohort, may be a consequence of arrested brain development.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rett syndrome – natural history in 70 cases.Am J Med Genet. 1986; 24: 61-72
- Rett's syndrome: characterization of respiratory patterns and sleep.Ann Neurol. 1987; 21: 377-382
- Pathophysiology of Rett syndrome.Brain Dev. 1987; 9: 506-513
- Aberrant sleep patterns in children with Rett syndrome.Brain Dev. 1990; 12: 488-493
- Sleep dysfunction in Rett syndrome: a trial of exogenous melatonin.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1998; 40: 186-192
Ellaway CJ, Peat J, Williams K, Leonard H, Christodoulou J. Long term open label trial of L-carnitine in Rett syndrome. World Congress on Rett Syndrome, 2000, Karuizawa, Japan.
- Sleep duration and television viewing.J Pediatr. 1981; : 486-488
- Reliability of sleep diaries for assessment of sleep/wake patterns.Nurs Res. 1993; 42: 368-372
- Rett syndrome natural history and underlying disease mechanism.Eur J Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1997; 6: 14-17
© 2001 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.