The Rett syndrome is good reactivity for sound and music. We enforced active music therapy (MT) individual session to patients with Rett syndrome. The patients were 4, 5 and 6-year-old. The active music therapy and individual session of 30 min/week were performed. It was recorded in video and description, and using the original evaluation list, six items of fact. On largest problem that is hand operation with purpose in childhood of Rett syndrome, we recorded the longest duration and frequency of hand grasping time in one session. There was the improvement of 35.0% of listening music, 33.3% play music, 13.3% singing music, 11.7% minute motion, 11.7% language, and 20.0% personal relation and sociality. The longest duration of hand grasping time was improved from 2 to 12 s in case 2 and from 7 to 80 s in case 3. Grasp frequency which showed the volition rapidly increased from 3 to 41 times, though the elongation for the duration of grasping was little for case 2. Rett syndrome is the disease in which the psychomotor performance regresses with the age, but the aspect that surely developed in the session could be evaluated. Rett syndrome has the ability understanding the music, and music therapy is suitable for them.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Denver II: a major revision and restandardization of the Denver Developmental Screening Test.Pediatrics. 1992; 89: 91-97
- The Developmental Psychology of Music. Cambridge University Press, New York1986
- Music therapy for children with Rett syndrome.Am J Med Genet. 1986; 24: 253-257
- The Rett syndrome-clinical presentation of the first 9 Albanian cases.Brain Dev. 1990; 12: 40-43
- The role of therapy in Rett syndrome.Am J Med Genet. 1986; 24: 247-252
- Behavioral training of a young women with Rett syndrome.Percept Mot Skills. 1994; 78: 314
© 2001 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.