We report an 11-year-old girl with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) who developed respiratory failure and coma despite the use of corticosteroid and intravenous immunoglobulin. We performed plasmapheresis four times, which improved her level of consciousness, hyperesthesia, external ophthalmoplegia and muscle weakness, and led to the normalization of brain and spinal cord MRI. Plasmapheresis might be an effective treatment in cases of fulminant ADEM.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The pathogenesis of acute viral encephalitis and postinfectious encephalomyelitis.J Infect Dis. 1987; 15: 359-364
- Pathogenesis of virus-induced demyelination.Adv Virus Res. 1993; 42: 249-324
- Early high-dose intravenous methylpredisolone in acute disseminated encephalomyelitis; a successful recovery.Neurology. 1997; 49: 1145-1147
- Relapsing acute encephalopathy: a complication of diphtheria-tetanus-poliomyelitis immunization n a young boy.Eur J Pediatr. 1996; 155: 136-138
- Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after accidental injection of a hog vaccine: successful treatment with plasmapheresis.Mayo Clin Proc. 1998; 73: 1193-1195
- Viral infections.in: Rowland L.P. Merritt's textbook of neurology. 9th ed. Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia1995
- Role of plasmapheresis in acute disseminated (postinfectious) encephalomyelitis.J Clin Apheresis. 1992; 7: 173-179
- Plasmapheresis in fulminant acute disseminated encephalomyelitis.Neurology. 1995; 45: 824-827
- Plasmapheresis in a child affected by acute disseminated encephalomyelitis.Brain Dev. 2000; 22: 136-136
- A case of relapsing acute disseminated encephalomyelitis with high dose corticosteroid treatment.Brain Dev. 1999; 21: 279-282
Accepted: July 30, 2001
Received in revised form: July 26, 2001
Received: October 8, 2000
© 2001 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.