We performed magnetic resonance imaging of the pituitary gland in 354 children who were under the care of our pediatric neurological outpatient department. Among them, an empty sella was recognized in 11 children, who all showed normal hormonal results. The frequency of an empty sella was significantly high in idiopathic intracranial hypertension (4/4; P<0.0001) and nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome (3/5; P<0.0001). The ratio of an empty sella in children, excluding patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension and nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome, is estimated to be 4/345 (1.2%), which is markedly lower than that in adults. Magnetic resonance imaging of the pituitary gland in children could provide important clues for the diagnosis of idiopathic intracranial hypertension or nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hypothalamic–pituitary dysfunction in primary empty sella syndrome in childhood.J Pediatr. 1986; 108: 540-544
- Empty sella in children and adolescents with possible hypothalamic–pituitary disorders.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1994; 78: 767-771
- MR imaging in idiopathic intracranial hypertension.Am J Neuroradiol. 2001; 22: 196-199
- Empty sella syndrome in nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome.Brain Dev. 2000; 22: 272-274
- Clinical and MRI findings in childhood idiopathic intracranial hypertension.No to Hattatsu (Tokyo). 2001; 33 (In Japanese): 319-322
- Magnetic resonance imaging in pseudotumor cerebri.Ophthalmology. 1998; 105: 1686-1693
- Primary empty sella. Incidence in 500 asymptomatic subjects examined with magnetic resonance.Radiol Med. 1991; 81: 803-807
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension: pathogenesis and the role of MR imaging.Radiology. 1989; 170: 21-22
- Clinical manifestations in 105 persons with nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome.Am J Med Genet. 1997; 69: 299-308
Accepted: July 18, 2001
Received in revised form: July 16, 2001
Received: May 22, 2001
© 2001 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.