We describe a series of 13 patients, ten males and three females, with ages ranging between three and fourteen years, who show unilateral polymicrogyria (in the left cerebral hemisphere in four cases and in the right in nine). The first and the main clinical alteration in all 13 cases was hemiparesis that did not change along the years. Ten patients had seizures that were completely controlled in seven. Three cases never presented seizures. Spontaneous threat of abortion or arterial hypertension during the first five months of pregnancy occurred in five cases. Weight less than 3 kg at birth was observed in six cases. The only patient who shows severe mental retardation associated with deafness is a girl who had infantile spasms at 20 days of age and presents duplication of a short arm of the chromosome X. Conventional magnetic resonance (MR) studies, performed in four cases did not disclose polymicrogyria but only an enlarged cortex that was diagnosed as cortical dysplasia. Three-dimensional MR (3DMR) images are very important not only to see the polymicrogyria, but also its extension and severity, especially if, moreover the axial, coronal and sagittal views, oblique, frontal, occipital, basal and superior images of the hemispheric cortical surface are performed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neuroimaging of focal malformations of cortical development.J Clin Neurophysiol. 1996; 13: 481-494
- Disorders of neuronal migration.Can J Neurol Sci. 1987; 14: 1-16
- Formation, maturation, and disorders of brain neocortex.Am J Neuroradiol. 1992; 13: 423-446
- Focal neuronal migration disorders and intractable partial epilepsy: A study of 30 patients.Ann Neurol. 1991; 30: 741-749
- Epilepsy and focal gyral anomalies detected by MRI: Electroclinico-morphological correlations and follow-up.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1992; 34: 706-718
- Über Mikrogyria.J Psychol Neurol. 1915-1918; 22: 1-47
- Pediatric Neuroimaging.2nd. 1995; : 217-219
- Multilobar polymicrogyria, intractable drop attack seizures, and sleep-related electrical status epilepticus.Neurology. 1998; 51: 504-512
- Abnormal vascular drainage in anomalies of neuronal migration.Am J Neuroradiol. 1988; 9: 939-942
- Prenatal and perinatal obstruction of the middle cerebral artery in non-cardiopathic children: Presentation of 14 cases.Eur J Pediatr Neurol. 1999; 3: 130-131
- WB Saunders, Philadelphia1995: 65-67 Neurology of the Newborn. 3rd ed.
- Developmental neuropathology and impact of perinatal brain damage. I. Hemorrhagic lesions of neocortex.J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1996; 55: 758-773
- Prenatal cytomegalovirus disease and cerebral microgyria: evidence for perfusion failure, not disturbance of histogenesis, as the major cause of fetal cytomegalovirus encephalopathy.Neuropediatrics. 1984; 15: 18-24
- Multifocal neuronal migration as a probable result of a well documented ischemic event at 18 weeks gestation.Ann Neurol. 1996; 40 (abstr): 296
- Inflammatory pathogenesis of cortical polymicrogyria: An autopsy study.Pediatr Res. 1998; 44: 291-296
- High incidence of histologic chorioamnionitis in women with gestational vaginal bleeding.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1997; 76: 85-86
- Cerebral microgyria in a 27-week fetus: an architectonic and topographic analysis.J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1974; 33: 374-384
- Unlayered polymicrogyria: structural and developmental aspects.Anat Embryol. 1991; 184: 517-528
- Parabiotic twin syndrome with topical isocortical disruption and gastroschisis.Acta Neuropathol. 1985; 67: 345-349
- Microgyrie and necrotic cortical lesions in twin fetuses: original cerebral damage consecutive to twinning?.Brain Dev. 1992; 14: 174-178
- Etude comparative des encéphalopathies circulatoires prénatales et paranatales.Acta Neuropat (Berl.). 1967; 9: 79-98
- Valor de la imagen en el diagnóstico de los trastornos de la migración neuronal.Rev Neurol (Barcel). 1998; 27: 246-258
- A Golgi analysis of unlayered polymicrogyria.Acta Neuropat (Berl). 1984; 65: 69-76
- Increased levels of lipid peroxidation products malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal after perinatal hypoxia.Pediatr Res. 1996; 40: 15-20
- Superoxide anion release by polymorphonuclear leukocytes in whole blood of newborns and mothers during the peripartal period.Pediatr Res. 1994; 36: 619-622
Accepted: March 23, 2001
Received in revised form: March 15, 2001
Received: January 18, 2001
© 2001 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.