A young male with Marfan syndrome, diagnosed at the age of 10 years, presented with conspicuous elongation and tortuosity of the internal carotid, middle cerebral, vertebral and basilar arteries on cranial magnetic resonance and computed tomography angiography. There is a little mention of cerebral blood vessel examinations in the guidelines of the American Academy of Pediatrics for Marfan syndrome. Guidelines may be provided for the evaluation of cerebrovascular system for the patients with Marfan syndrome who have family history of Marfan syndrome as well as a family history of death from subarachinoid hemorrhage.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Marfan syndrome and intracranial aneurysms (Letter to the Editor).Stroke. 1999; 30: 2767-2768
- Dolichoectatic basilar artery: a review of 23 cases.Stroke. 1986; 17: 1277-1281
- Arteriectasis, subarachinoid hemorrhage in a three-month old infant.Neurology. 1974; 24: 494-500
- Health supervision for children with Marfan syndrome.Pediatrics. 1996; 98: 978-982
- Intracranial aneurysms in Marfan's syndrome: an autopsy study.Neurosurgery. 1997; 41: 866-871
- Early berry aneurysm formation in Marfan's syndrome.Surg Neurol. 1989; 31: 200-202
- Marfan syndrome is not associated with intracanial aneurysms.Stroke. 1999; 30: 1632-1636
- Enlargement and fatal rupture of a fusiform aneurysm arising from megadolichobasilar anomaly mechanism of aneurysmal enlargement and its treatment (in Japanese).Jpn J Neurosurg (Tokyo). 1994; 3: 247-253
- Histopathological analysis of dolichoectatic basilar artery (in Japanese).Nosocchyu No Geka. 1994; 22: 491-494
- Genetics and aneurysm formation.Neurosurg Clin N Am. 1998; 9: 485-495
Accepted: February 22, 2001
Received in revised form: February 19, 2001
Received: July 14, 2000
© 2001 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.