This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We describe two patients, aged 3.5 years,and 15 years, with a mild form of herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE). The disease was characterized by convulsions and lymphocytic pleocytosis in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Involvement of herpes simplex virus (HSV) was established by antibody measurements in serum and CSF. Recovery was complete with no antiviral drug administration. It appears that scrutinized serological work-up would widen our concept of mild forms of HSE, with a better prognosis and complete recovery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Principles of neurology.in: 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill, New York1985: 556
- Mild forms of herpes encephalitis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1984; 47: 1247-1250
- Vidarabine versus acyclovir therapy in herpes simplex encephalitis.New Engl J Med. 1986; 314: 144-149
- Herpes simplex virus encephalitis: laboratory evaluations and their diagnostic significance.J Infect Dis. 1982; 145: 829-836
- Simultaneous serum and CSF antibodies in herpes simplex virus encephalitis.J Med Virol. 1987; 21: 169-178
- Acyclovir versus vidarabine in herpes simplex encephalitis: Randomized multicenter study in consecutive Swedish patients.Lancet. 1984; i: 707-711
- Genotyping of herpes simplex viruses by polymerase chain reaction.Arch Virol. 1991; 119: 275-283
- Herpes simple virus encephalitis during childhood: importance of brain biopsy diagnosis.J Pediatr. 1985; 107: 212-215
- Herpes simplex virus encephalitis in children.Pediatr Clin North Am. 1988; 35: 465-483
- Psychosis and herpes simplex encephalitis.South Med J. 1985; 7: 1347-1352
Accepted: June 30, 1995
Received: December 13, 1994
© 1995 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.