This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenic purpura (NAITP) is one of the causes of thrombocytopenia in the newborn period. The thrombocytopenia is caused by maternal transplacental antiplatelet alloantibodies. We report a case of NAITP in a newborn infant having subarachnoid hemorrhage. Examination of platelet antibodies revealed anti-Yukb, that is, human platelet antigen (HPA)-4a incompatibility. Cranial ultrasound and brain magnetic resonance imaging revealed subarachnoid hemorrhage in the temporal region inferior to the cephalohematoma. The lesion seemed to have been sustained during delivery. The patient was treated with high-dose γ-globulin and several transfusions of random donor platelets and showed a good clinical course. This is the second reported case of NAITP associated with the Yuk antigen system having intracranial hemorrhage.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia.in: Stockman J.A. Developmental and neonatal hematology. Raven Press, New York1988: 145-168
- Yuka, a new platelet antigen involved in two cases of neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia.Vox Sang. 1986; 50: 177-180
- A new platelet antigen system, Yuka/Yukb.Vox Sang. 1986; 51: 334-336
- Antenatal management of the thrombocytopenias.Clin Perinatol. 1994; 21: 591-614
- Intracranial hemorrhage in utero as a complication of isoimmune thrombocytopenia.J Pediatr. 1979; 95: 611-614
- CNS lesions is neonatal isoimmune thrombocytopenia.Arch Neurol. 1983; 40: 552-554
- Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenic purpura and congenital porencephaly in two siblings associated with a ‘new’ maternal antiplatelet antibody.Blood. 1985; 65: 1412-1415
- Ultrasound in congenital intracranial haemorrhage secondary to isoimmune thrombocytopenia.Pediatr Radiol. 1985; 15: 8-11
- Intracranial hemorrhage in utero due to fetomaternal Baka incompatibility.Acta Hematol Jpn (Tokyo). 1988; 51: 1086-1091
- Porencephaly and optic hypoplasia in neonatal isoimmune thrombocytopenia.Arch Dis Child. 1989; 64: 858-860
- Detection of platelet antibodies by a newly developed mixed agglutination with platelets.Vox Sang. 1981; 41: 25-31
Japanese articles were reviewed.
- Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia (NAT) due to anti-Pena (HPA-4b).Blood. 1994; 84: A723
- Fetal neurology.in: Aicardi J. Diseases in the nervous system in childhood. MacKeith Press, London1992: 3-46
- Porencephaly, hydranencephaly, multicystic encephalopathy.in: Friede R.L. Developmental neuropathology. 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag, Berlin1989: 28-43
- Deep haemorrhage.in: Govaert P. Cranial haemorrhage in the term newborn infant. 3rd edn. Clin Dev Med. MacKeith Press, London1993: 101-161 (No 129)
Accepted: June 27, 1995
Received: April 13, 1995
© 1995 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.