This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Most ependymal cysts occur intracerebrally, with a few cases situated in the subarachnoid space. The cerebellopontine angle is a common site for arachnoid cysts, but a very rare site for ependymal cysts. A case is described here of a large ependymal cyst in the cerebellopontine angle. A 12-year-old girl with left hearing disturbance was admitted. CT and MRI revealed a cystic tumor in the left cerebellopontine angle. At operation, we obtained a discrete thin-walled cyst which had arisen from a continuation of the choroid plexus of the lateral foramen of Luschka, which had no connection with the arachnoid. The cyst proved to be an ependymal cyst.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pathology of tumors of the nervous system.in: 5th edn. Edward Arnold, London1989: 721-727
- Occipital lobe ependymal cyst.Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 1989; 29: 417-423
- Ependymal cyst of the sylvian fissure.J Neurosurg. 1971; 35: 751-754
- Choroid epithelial cyst of the cerebral hemisphere. An immunohistochemical study.Surg Neurol. 1987; 28: 119-122
- Subarachnoid ependymal cyst.J Neurosurg. 1972; 37: 741-745
- Cerebral arachnoid cysts in children.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1971; 34: 316-323
- Intracranial epithelial cysts.J Neurosurg. 1976; 44: 109-115
- Glio-ependymal cyst in the lateral ventricle complicated by agenesis of the corpus callosum.Neurol Surg (Tokyo). 1991; 19 (in Japanese): 359-363
- A glioependymal cyst of the cerebellopontine angle: immunohistochemical and ultrastructural studies.Acta Neuropathol. 1987; 74: 382-388
- Ultrastructure and pathogenesis of intracranial arachnoid cyst.J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1981; 40: 61-83
- Spontaneous disappearance of cerebellopontine angle arachnoid cyst.Neurol Surg (Tokyo). 1987; 15 (in Japanese): 295-299
- Septal bifrontal ependymal cyst.J Neurosurg. 1983; 59: 344-347
Accepted: February 20, 1994
Received: December 7, 1993
© 1994 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.