This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We report a 20-month-old girl with an unruptured aneurysm of the middle cerebral artery. The initial sign was complex partial seizures. Magnetic resonance angiography showed an aneurysm of the right middle cerebral artery. Cerebral angiography confirmed the presence of a saccular aneurysm. After 3 months, the aneurysm spontaneously thrombosed without neurological deficit. The seizures were controlled by anti-convulsants. The aneurysm was probably near the focus of the complex partial seizures. This is a rare case of a childhood cerebral artery aneurysm that first manifested itself by complex partial seizures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intracranial arterial aneurysms in early childhood.Surg Neurol. 1988; 29: 39-56
- Spontaneous thrombosis of an aneurysm of the middle cerebral artery with subarachnoid haemorrhage in a 6-year-old child: case report.Neurol Res. 1991; 13: 202-204
- Temporal lobe epilepsy caused by unruptured middle cerebral artery aneurysms.Arch Neurol. 1966; 14: 421-427
- Focal seizures: an unusual presentation of giant intracranial aneurysms. A report of four cases with comments on the natural history and treatment.Surg Neurol. 1985; 24: 533-540
- Unruptured intracranial aneurysms: an unusual source of epilepsy.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 1978; 40: 45-53
- Complex partial seizures associated with unruptured thrombosed basilar artery apex aneurysm.Surg Neurol. 1983; 19: 17-20
- Partial seizures in children.Pediatrics. 1986; 77: 725-731
- Temporal lobe epilepsy in childhood: reappraisal of etiology and outcome.Pediatr Neurol. 1987; 3: 263-268
- Clinical course and prognosis of temporal lobe epilepsy: a survey of 666 patients.Brain. 1971; 94: 173-190
- Spontaneous thrombosis of a giant intracranial aneurysm and ipsilateral internal carotid artery: case report.J Neurosurg. 1982; 56: 287-289
Accepted: January 16, 1994
Received: October 7, 1993
© 1994 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.