This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Development of the midbrain in 260 newborn infants was studied by means of the ultrasonographic method. The 260 infants were divided into four groups; 211 appropriate-for-date (AFD) infants without intracranial abnormalities or chromosomal disorders, 41 light-for-date (LFD) infants without intracranial abnormalities or chromosomal disorders, 5 cases of Down syndrome and 3 cases of trisomy 18. The midbrain area (MBA) was measured in transverse sections using a Sonos 1000 (YHP) within 24 h of birth. MBA of the 211 AFD infants was correlated with gestational age (GA), the standard curve being −0.0029(GA)2 + 0.2611(GA) − 3.335 (r = 0.87, P < 0.0001). MBA of the other three groups were compared with this standard curve. Thirty-seven of the 41 LFD cases and all the Down syndrome infants showed MBA within 1.5 S.D. of the standard curve. However, all the infants with trisomy 18 had smaller MBA than −1.5 S.D. of the standard curve. The standard curve should be useful for assessing the gestational age of newborn infants and for detecting abnormal development of the brainstem in developmental disorders.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain and Development
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Daube JR Sandok BA Medical neurosciences: an approach to anatomy, pathology, and physiology by systems and levels. Medical Sciences International, Tokyo1984: 313-335 (Japanese translation)
- Postnatal change of brainstem auditory evoked responses in normal and high risk neonates.No to Hattatsu (Tokyo). 1984; 16 (in Japanease): 279-284
- Maturation of contralateral brainstem responses in preterm infants.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1985; 62: 117-123
- Prognostic significance of the electrically elicited blink reflex in neonates.J Child Neurol. 1985; 2: 287-292
- A morphometric CT study of Down's syndrome showing small posterior fossa and calcification of basal ganglia.Neuroradiology. 1984; 26: 493-498
- de Grouchy J Turlean C Clinical atlas of human chromosomes. Wiley, New York1984: 292-297
- Comparison of brain imaging and neuropathology in cases of trisomy 18 and 13.Neuroradiology. 1987; 29: 474-479
Accepted: January 16, 1994
Received: November 9, 1993
© 1994 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.